It’s just a game. Take it too seriously and you have already lost. Job interviews seem like the most serious thing in the world when you are sitting in front of the manager being interrogated but I choose to see the manager as my opponent. The game is to score more points than the previous players and the best points to make are the points that show you are right for this job.
The first thing everyone knows about training before a big game is practice makes perfect. If you want to improve any skill, you should practice it and interview skills are no different. The question is do you want to practice by having a hundred interviews in the next few weeks or by simulating interview conditions so that you can get the job in the first few interviews that you do?
Role play interview: practice before the game
To help you in your training for your next match, think about how you would answer the interview questions below. Practice them with your family or friends in as realistic a situation as possible. Sit on opposite sides at a table but remember to have fun. When you are finished, ask your interviewer the following questions:
- What did you like about me during that interview.
- What answers do you remember the most?
- Did I do anything you didn’t like?
- Did I say anything negative?
- How was my handshake?
- How was my body language?
- Did I smile enough?
Job Interview Questions to role play
About your previous jobs
- What were your responsibilities?
- Why did you choose this job?
- What did you enjoy most about this job?
- What was your greatest challenge in this job?
- What did you learn from this job?
- Tell me about a time that you went beyond the call of duty.
- What was it like working for your supervisor?
- Why did you leave?
About you and the position
- How would your last employer describe you?
- What are your strengths?
- What are your weaknesses?
- Describe your work style.
- What motivates you?
- How do you handle stress?
- What is the number one criticism about you?
- How would you help this company to succeed?
- Do you prefer to work individually or in a team?