Often, we think of marketing job interviews as completely unstructured tests of creativity but in reality, marketing directors have their favourite questions just like all recruiters. Choose a famous company and one of their leading products and use these as a basis to answer the following questions.
- Why do you think you will do well in marketing?
- What does “marketing” mean to you?
- Other than marketing, what other jobs could you see yourself doing?
- What do you do when customers tell you “no”?
- What resources will you use in order to increase the sales of this company?
- What do you think of our current campaign? How would you improve upon this?
- What would you say were the most marketable points of our product?
- If you were to identify our top 5 “typical” consumers, what kind of people would they be?
- How would you identify with our target audience?
- How do you cope with pressure?
- What do you think is the best way to convince someone in that building over there to come to this building just to buy our product?
- What campaigns have you run in the past and what were their strengths and weaknesses?
Buzzwords for marketing job interviews
And no marketing job interview would be complete without dropping the following buzzwords:
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) – Putting your website #1 on Google search
- Lead generation – Getting the contact details of people who might buy
- Conversion rate optimization – Making sure that leads are good
- Mobile media – Getting your message on Blackberries, iPhones and other smart phones
- Social networking – Face book, Twitter etc
- Market segmentation – Knowing who your “typical” consumers are